2.01.2012

Birthday Prints and Portraits

Here is a project that I shared over at Mess for Less last week. Enjoy!

I have to admit that I am overly sentimental at times. Having two pre-schoolers doesn’t make things easy as I am holding on to their early years for dear life. I enjoy finding creative ways to capture and document their growth. So I would like to share a little birthday project that has become a family tradition each year.



Materials:
6x6 canvas (I stock up on these when they are 60% off/under $2)
Craft paint /brush (under $1)
Birthday girl (priceless)
Ikea Easel ($1)

 

Here is what we do:

Step One
Let the birthday girl pick her color. Our birthday girl picked pink so I squeezed two shades of pink and some white paint into an old yogurt cup.  
Step Two
Birthday girl paints the canvas.




Step Three
Once the canvas is dry, paint birthday girl’s hand with a generous coat of white paint. I find this method easier than dipping the entire hand in paint. It saves paint and you can control coverage. Guide hand and make print on canvas. Seal with mod podge.




A brand new tradition:  
To go along with our handprint keepsakes, I decided to have my daughter draw a self portrait. Using an 8x10 canvas board and a sharpie, my little one whipped up this self portrait in about 30 seconds (pigtails and all). We painted the edges with some left over pink paint for a simple border.  Seal with mod podge.




Finally, we printed up this little “favorites” list, had an interview session and stuck this to the back of the portrait. 




As my little ones grow, so will our collection of prints and portraits. A simple and cherished birthday tradition.   :)




See this project and more fantastic ideas here:
WhipperBerry
30 Handmade Days
Tatertots & Jello
Six Sisters' Stuff
I Heart Nap Time
One Artsy Mama

6 comments:

  1. Oh, wow, I love everything about this. What a great way to try and preserve the memories from when your daughter was at each age. I'm pinning this for sure. The self portrait is so cute...
    Would you consider sharing this here? It would make my day!
    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/02/shine-on-fridays-13-and-some-fabulous.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I just linked up and I'm a new follower. :)
      Krista @ mk inspired

      Delete
  2. Cute ideas! Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday". We loved having you and hope to see you back next week with more great ideas! - The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Six Sisters! I'll be back this week! :)

      Delete
  3. Great article and right to the point. I don't know if this is truly the best place to ask but do you folks have any thoughts on where to hire some professional writers? Thank you :)
    Giro Makai Multi-Sport Helmet

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute. After many years, if you are watching this again, it will bring more memorable thoughts that it was taken first.

    Cheap Canvas Prints


    ReplyDelete