5.16.2012

Paper Beads

Hi there! So sorry for my recent lack of posts…I was in a jello fog for a couple of weeks recovering from a tonsillectomy.  Fun times! But don’t worry, we escaped creative withdrawal by making these colorful paper beads (so that my little one can make her own super cool jewelry):




Materials:
Scrapbook paper (any paper will do)
Matte Mod Podge
Brush
Pencil/marker/dowel/toothpick(for tighter beads)


First, I used a ruler and ripped scrapbook paper into triangular strips. I like the look of torn edges.



Using a marker, pencil or dowel... roll paper around marker one time (without glue). Then brush Mod Podge on remaining paper and continue rolling out the strip. Slip the rolled paper off marker, apply coat of Mod Podge and set aside to dry. This was fun for the kids and kept them busy. You can make smaller beads if you wrap a toothpick. The marker gave us penne sized tubes which made it easier for my little ones to string them with yarn.



rolled mini tubes...



Once the mini tubes dried we cut them into smaller beads and made necklaces.








This could be a fun summer activity for kids. Maybe have them paint/ design their own paper for beading.  So many options!


Have a nice day! :)




See this project and get inspired over at:
Whipperberry
Tatertots & Jello
30 Handmade Days





6 comments:

  1. Krista, I love this idea and I know my daughter would love it too. Thanks for sharing the tutorial! I featured you today in my Friday I'm In Love favorites!

    http://socialsalutations.blogspot.com/2012/05/friday-im-in-love-with-great-tutorials.html

    XOXO
    Jenn @ Social Salutations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the feature, Jenn! :) We love making these and I hope that you and your daughter have fun too. :)

      Have a great weekend!

      Krista

      Delete
  2. Looks like I'll be doing this with my three year old tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial. Do you think it's too girly for a boy?? Maybe if I use boy-ish paper?

    Jesseca
    {onesweetappetite.com}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesseca! My little guy made a few...so go for it! :) Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Krista @ mk inspired

      Delete
  3. These are adorable and this is a great tutorial Thanks so much for sharing and I am a new follower!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome, Michelle! Thanks so much! :)

      Krista @ mk inspired

      Delete